Monday, March 06, 2006

Ignore the Swap Size Requirement of Oracle-10gXE

There was an error "Swap is less than the minimal requirement of 974MB" when I installed oracle-10gXE in my laptop (512MB RAM, Fedora Core 4); then the installation stopped. Because of a laptop I only assigned a 512MB swap area. How can I install oracle-10gXE in my laptop without changing the swap? Analyzing the installation script, I found it uses "free -m | grep Swap" to get the swap area size. How about cheating it? ;) Let's try below:
# free -m > /tmp/swap.txt
modify the swap size in swap.txt to 1000.
# vi free

#! /bin/sh
if [ $1 = "-m" ]; then
cat /tmp/swap.txt
fi

# chmod +x free
# mv /usr/bin/free /usr/bin/free.save
# cp free /usr/bin/free

Then installed oracle-10g again, it passed. After configuring it worked on my laptop.

Please don't forget to restore the /usr/bin/free after the installation finished.

No comments: